Harris Miller Miller & Hanson Inc. (HMMH) is an international leader in environmental and transportation planning, including noise and vibration control, air quality analysis, airport and airspace planning, and sustainable energy solutions. HMMH solves complex problems affecting our environment. With four offices throughout the country, we serve government and private industry clients with a broad range of innovative and effective solutions related to aviation, highway, rail, transit, industrial, construction, military, recreational, and entertainment projects. Our core values are to serve clients with excellence and honesty, to respect others, foster teamwork, and provide growth opportunities.
HMMH is looking for an experienced scientist in environmental acoustics to join our team. The ideal candidate must have analytic, data management, and communications skills with an emphasis on technical excellence. The position’s primary responsibilities will be to conduct research to support technological, policy, and environmental applications of acoustics associated with traditional and novel sources of transportation-related noise (e.g., unmanned vehicles, supersonic jets, high-speed trains). Candidates with a Ph.D. or M.S. degree in acoustics, aerospace or mechanical engineering, physics, mathematics, aerospace aviation, or another similarly relevant technical field of study are encouraged to apply.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform role of Senior Scientist/Principal Investigator for research projects
- Review quantitative analysis data to determine noise and other environmental impacts
- Manage the integrity of the design, conduct, and reporting of research projects
- Manage, monitor, and ensure the integrity of any collaborative relationships
- Responsible for the direction and oversight of compliance, financial, personnel, and other related aspects of research projects and for coordination with team members
- Prepare whitepapers and other publications
- Represent HMMH on industry panels, working groups, and at conferences
- Assure research is conducted in accordance with all applicable regulations and client or sponsoring agency policies and procedures
- Conduct business development activities
- Noise modeling and model validation
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in field of acoustics
- Ph.D. or M.S. in acoustics, aerospace/mechanical engineering, physics, mathematics, aerospace/aviation, or another similarly relevant technical field of study
- Experience publishing scientific papers and participating on advisory panels
- Experience in transportation noise and vibration-related research
- Experience in data management, analysis, and programming (e.g., MATLAB, C++, Python, LabVIEW, FORTRAN, SQL)
- Experience in the use of aviation noise modeling software (e.g., ANOPP, Advanced Acoustic Model, PCBoom, AEDT, NOISEMAP, SoundPLAN)
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and communication skills
Additional Preferred Experience:
- In-depth understanding of long-range outdoor sound propagation, impulsive noise, environmental noise measurement systems, and signal processing experience in a consulting environment
- Prior experience serving as a Senior Scientist/Principal Investigator on aircraft noise-related research projects
- Experience with pursuing contract opportunities and performing studies for the Department of Transportation (DoT), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), National Park Service (NPS), Department of Defense (DoD)
- Burlington, MA
- Anaheim, CA
- Remote will be considered
HMMH offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package, and a positive work atmosphere. Our firm offers opportunities for professional development and career growth within the company to dedicated and strong performers.
HMMH is an Equal Opportunity Employer.