Senior NEPA Specialist
HMMH is a trusted leader in the study, assessment, and mitigation of the impacts of new and existing transportation projects on communities. We provide consulting services to government and private sector clients related to aviation, highway, rail, transit, industrial, construction, military, recreational, and entertainment projects.
Since our founding in 1981, HMMH addresses environmental issues at airports. HMMH has delivered expert assistance to more than 200 airports worldwide. The focus of our Aviation Environmental Services (AES) Group is to analyze, evaluate, and find solutions for airport environmental issues. We prepare National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents, conduct noise and air quality studies, develop sustainability plans, evaluate and develop mitigation plans for environmental impacts, contribute to environmental documentation, engage the public, and ensure regulatory compliance.
Our AES group has an immediate opening for an experienced NEPA Specialist in a remote position.
The NEPA Specialist will be involved with a variety of projects and will be responsible for the leadership, coordination, development, and delivery of environmental review documents that comply with NEPA and relevant state-level requirements for a diverse number of markets. The NEPA Specialist will demonstrate a strong understanding of the NEPA process for aviation and other transportation projects and will contribute to environmental and planning projects across HMMH’s practice areas, including our Surface Transportation and Federal groups. Project work includes the preparation, planning, analysis, and review of technical studies, NEPA documents (including Categorical Exclusions (CatExs), Environmental Assessments (EAs), and Environmental Impact Statements (EISs)), planning studies, and other relevant documents such as technical memorandums and reports. Although some projects will require independent work, the candidate should have experience managing small to large technical and professional teams. This position often requires involvement in public engagement and stakeholder outreach activities and coordination with multiple local, state, and federal agencies. The position will be responsible for operating successfully as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Provide overall project management or task management on NEPA / state environmental review projects, preparation, analysis, and review of related reports and technical studies
- Write and contribute to the development of environmental planning documents, including CatExs, EAs, and EISs, as well as technical reports, memorandums, and public engagement materials
- Oversee all aspects of environmental projects, including scope, schedule, and budget
- Manage and coordinate project teams consisting of HMMH staff and subconsultants
- Provide technical expertise and market knowledge for proposals and project pursuits
- Develop and maintain client relationships to grow business
- Mentor and manage junior staff
- Provide oversight, direction, management, QA/QC, and ongoing open communication to staff and subconsultants
- Attend and participate in public meetings and hearings
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science or Master’s degree in Environmental Planning, Environmental Science, or related fields of study
- 7+ years of professional environmental/planning experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) NEPA regulations
- Experience implementing FAA Order 1050.1F, Environmental Impacts: Policies and Procedures, and FAA Order 5050.4B, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Implementing Instructions for Airport Projects, is a plus
- Demonstrated leadership, collaboration, and staff management experience
- Self-starter with excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong conceptual, organizational, problem solving, and research skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively with remote staff and clients through a collaborative and iterative process
- Experience planning, facilitating and/or presenting at public meetings hearings is a plus
- Project or task management experience
HMMH offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package, and a positive work atmosphere. Our firm offers opportunities for professional development and career growth for dedicated and strong performers. We are a Great Place to Work certified firm, demonstrating our commitment to creating an environment where employees take pride in their work, trust and respect their colleagues, and develop a strong camaraderie across the organization.
HMMH is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. HMMH is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact HR Generalist Jason Rega at 781-852- 3103 or jrega@ hmmh.com.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to the following
• “EEO is the Law” Poster: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
• “EEO is the Law” Poster Supplement: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf
• Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision: https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OFCCP/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf